Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hullabaloo Diner: Wellborn, Texas


Today, we went to Hullabaloo Diner just South of Wellborn for brunch.  This diner was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives with Guy Fieri.  Hullabaloo Diner is one of the few registered, authentic diners in the State of Texas.  It has quite a history, which can be read on their website, but the diner's origins are from Albany, New York as the DeRaffele Diner dating back to 1940's.  


Get there early because the crowds overflow into the parking lot.  We were fortunate to be seated in a booth inside the dining car.  I ordered coffee which came with a black and white cow creamer- I thought that was cute.  I went with breakfast, and ordered the Breakfast Burrito with green chili and cheddar cheese.




WOW!  This burrito usually comes with eggs, potatoes, and sausage; but, they made it without eggs since I have a terrible aversion to eggs- thank you.  The burrito is HUGE, and it was super yummy.  I had to force myself to stop eating it and take half of it home for later!  This burrito is the best thing that I have eaten over my 3 day visit to Bryan College Station.


We also ordered the Double Decker Diner club sandwich.

This sandwich had ham, turkey, bacon, Swiss, American, lettuce, tomato and mayo on toasted wheat bread.  It came with potato chips which were straight out of the bag.  I am kinda shocked that they don't have home made potato chips.  Overall, we though it was quite good.


For dessert, we tried the Bread Pudding made from the Hullabaloo cinnamon rolls with vanilla ice cream. 


We were very disappointed with this dish.  The bread pudding was barely hot, but the ice cream was like soup- didn't taste like Blue Bell either.  The bread pudding was super dense.  It was like we were eating a chunk of dough.  We agreed that we would not order it again.

Finally, we got a slice of the coconut cream pie to go.  Since I did not get to have any of it, my understanding is that on a scale of 10, the pie rated an 8.  However, the little mouse that ate it felt like the price of the piece of pie was too high.


Overall, I really liked the Hullabaloo Diner.  I can't wait to go back and try some of its diner fare like meatloaf or pot roast.  I highly suggest that if you are in the Bryan College Station area, check out the Hullabaloo Diner.  It's definitely worth the wait.




Hullabaloo Diner
15045 FM 2154 (Wellborn Rd)
Wellborn, Texas 77845
979-690-3002

http://www.hullabaloodiner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment