Monday, July 30, 2012

McKenzie's Barbeque & Burgers: Huntsville

What a better way to start off the week much less a Monday with a blog about a good ol' hamburger? 

Started in Huntsville in 1995 by Kevin and Lisa McKenzie, McKenzie's Barbeque and Burgers is truly a family affair.  Expanding their operations to Conroe and Montgomery, McKenzie's Barbeque and Burgers has continued their excellence by winning the Best BBQ in Montgomery County for 11 years in a row and Best BBQ for Huntsville for 14 years.

My first visit to McKenzie's was five years ago.  I dropped in for a hamburger, and I fell in love with the then smaller, intimate location.  Forget the award winning barbeque, this girl sticks to their hamburgers.  Wednesday's lunch special is the hamburger basket, and guess what today is- Wednesday. 


As you can see, the shredded lettuce, onion, tomatoes, and pickles are overflowing- makes me feel better about eating a burger- healthier?  On this day, the beef patty is medium in thickness, slightly smaller than the buttery bun, seasoned well, though a bit overcooked and charred in some areas.  Overall, a pretty good burger.  The french fries are hand cut style.  Little to any seasoning, quite greasy, and slightly undercooked for my liking.

Maybe on this day, McKenzie's is just out of whack.  Overall, it was still a very edible burger basket.  Due to their popularity, they moved into a much larger location across the road a few years ago.  I am hoping this isn't part of the issue. 

As I was waiting in line, I noticed another familiar logo in McKenzie's- Bodacious BBQ Sauces and Seasonings.  According to their website, their sister, Shannon, owns a Bodacious BBQ.  Ummmm, I guess I will have to go back and try their BBQ since we all know how much I like Bodacious BBQ. 

If you are in Huntsville and you want to experience the Best of Huntsville and Montgomery County BBQ, check out McKenzie's Barbeque and Burgers.  Did I mention that they have free pinto beans?

McKenzie's Barbeque & Burgers
1548 11th Street (Hwy 30)
Huntsville, TX 77340
(936) 291-7347

http://www.mckenziesbarbeque.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment