Saturday, September 15, 2012

Roadhouse: Bastrop

In honor of the year anniversary of the devastating wildfires, I chose to spend my money today in Bastrop, Texas.  I used to spend alot of time in Bastrop back before there was really anything here.  I did my graduate field work here, and needless to say there wasn't much available for restaurants. 

Things have changed, and a great little place is the Roadhouse, located on Highway 21 heading across from Bastrop State Park.  Voted as the best burger in Bastrop County for 8 years running, I had to stop, but I am going to try something other than a burger.

The menu is extensive from sandwiches to salads to burgers served on Shelia Partin's sweet sourdough.  Today, I am going for the Lydia Sandwich: blacken chicken topped with pepper jack cheese, banana peppers, pico de gallo, and fresh avocado slices on a hoagie roll. 


When my sandwich comes out, it's as colorful as spring in the Texas Hill Country.  My mouth starts watering at the sight of the fresh avocados, the banana peppers, and the mound of crunchy french fries.  After the first bite, I knew I had made the right diversion into this amazing sandwich.  It totally rocked!  The fries were great too- cooked just right with the slightest of seasoning- and they were perfect with Ranch dressing. 

This sandwich is large, so plan on a getting a to go box.  However, I am not going to guarantee the safe arrival to home since the ingredient mixture of this sandwich creates a constant craving in your mouth.  I will confess it didn't make it to dinner!  I give the roadhouse a thumbs up.  The crowd is a great mixture of golfers, fisherman, Austin weird to Texas normal, and DPS troopers.

Bastrop:
As previously mentioned, in 2011, Bastrop County suffered from one of the most devastating wildfires in the State of Texas.  Over 1600 homes burned charring over 30,000 acres, Bastrop is known to be one of Texas' oldest settlements originally called Mina.  More than 130 historic structures are located in Bastrop.  The Bastrop Advertiser, the local newspaper, is the oldest weekly newspaper in Texas.  Located just 25 miles South of Austin, Bastrop has become a poplar bedroom community of Austin.

Bastrop has everything from fishing to shopping to fine dining.  Sites to see: Bastrop State Park- the site of my master's thesis: Forest Stand Dynamics of an Upland Forest Ecosystem (copies available for some light reading); Bastrop Opera House; Bastrop County Historical Society Museum; LCRA's McKinney Roughs Nature Park; numerous golf courses; and numerous shops and fine dining in Downtown (one day Tasty Texas Travels will invade).  I particularly like the Blue Donkey Gallery for hand painted pottery.  And, of course, don't forget the Roadhouse on Highway 21!

Roadhouse
2804 Hwy 21
Bastrop, Texas 78602
www.roadhousebastrop.com
512/321-1803

No comments:

Post a Comment