Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ventura's Tamales: Victoria, Texas

OK, Ventura’s Tamales claim to be “the absolute best tamales in Texas.”  They are known through out the State.  I remember seeing their location times before, but now I have a reason to stop.

For some reason, I remember their location being on Hwy 59 business, but now it is on North Navarro.  Based on their beautiful website, I was expecting a beautiful little restaurant, but I was totally shocked by the building as it looks like an old Taco Bell that has been painted.  Never judge a book by its cover.

Besides tamales, you can get the usual Tex-Mex suspects too.  Today, I opt for a dozen spicy tamales.  You can chose either regular or spicy.



First thing, I thought that the price for a dozen was a little high.  Second, when I opened up the tamales, I thought the actual tamale was even smaller for the price.  I sure hope that the taste of these tamales makes up for everything!

And, it did.  The masa was perfect in taste- not bland at all with a perfect corn taste and moist.  The spiciness was lacking.  The tamales were a little stingy on the meat which I think was pork- never saw anything on what it was.  The hot sauce was super fresh with a thinner consistency and a lot of garlic.  It actually reminded me of Elena’s in Beaumont- see that Blog earlier in the month.

The dozen was consumed over the next 3 days, and it was hard not to eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Overall, I thought Ventura’s was really good.  I still think that they are pricey for the actual tamales- in size and in meat, but it is always good to find a place with yummy tamales.  It will definitely be a stop when I come to Victoria.

Ventura’s Tamales
3907 N Navarro
Victoria, Texas 77901
361/578-5161

No comments:

Post a Comment