Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lockhart Food Follies: Lockhart

Well, I know that I am late in writing up my blogs on certain restaurants, and the moral of this story is to not wait so long because some restaurants can close in the mean time.  This is what has happen to Henry's in Lockhart.  It was less than 2 weeks ago that we were sitting in Henry's enjoying a hamburger and fries.


In fact, I will still write about it.  The hamburger was pretty dang good.  The ground meat was debatable if it was fresh or frozen, but it was well seasoned.  The usual suspects were found: lettuce, tomato, and pickles.  Overall, a pretty good burger on a sweet tasting bun.  The only thing was that the typical bagged french fries came out in a pretty chintzy portion.

On another note....just for your information if you don't already know it.  Lockhart is a SERIOUS BBQ town- the BBQ Capital of Texas.  On this day that we ended up at Henry's, my counterpart had just wanted a chopped beef sandwich- you wouldn't think it would be hard to find in Lockhart- Oh, but it is...  After going to Kreuz's and Smitty's, we gave up on the chopped beef sandwich.  Smelling of smoke and hot, we ended up at Henry's by default.  Both Kreuz's and Smitty's greet you with a wall of smoke and heat.  You buy your meat by the pound then eat it without sauce and with white bread.  But, no chopped beef sandwiches to be found!  And, we didn't feel like trying Black's.

I did end up with a pound of brisket from Kreuz's- another Food Folly.  Although the meat was smokey and tender, I definitely believe I have had better brisket.  In fact, some of the meat was so fatty and poorly cut that I thought I was eating a pot roast.  I wasn't that impressed, and we went to A LOT of effort to get that pound of brisket when all we wanted was a chopped beef sandwich- isn't that the truth Mrs. Wells!!!!!

Lockhart: BBQ Capital of Texas
http://www.lockhart-tx.org/web98/visitors/bbqcapitaloftexas.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment