Friday, February 10, 2012

La Unica Tortilleria: Lufkin

The reviews were all positive for this Lufkin eatery, so I needed to check it out.  Located in not a great area of town, La Unica is a dive.  A very limited menu leads you to the basics like enchiladas, fajitas, tacos and tamales.  Voted as best tamales in Lufkin, I was obviously taking a dozen home with me.

Tonight, I tried the cheese enchiladas with rice and beans.  You place your order at the counter, and wait.  Do not look into the kitchen when you get your drink- just trust me.  Once seated, a lady delivers chips, salsa and pico de gallo.  The yellow corn chips are hot and light.  The salsa was so-so, but the pico was to die for.  It was super fresh with a lot of lime-definitely a winner.


My plate arrives with the cheese enchiladas, rice, lettuce- tomato salad, and charro beans.  I don’t know what they do to their rice, but it was the best rice that I have ever had.  One secret is the basmati rice.  The charro beans were just so-so, and the cheese enchiladas were just greasy cheese enchiladas.


I did get a dozen tamales to go- I was afraid of the grease seeping out of the paper bag.  However, the tamales were outstanding.  They were spicy, moist, and filled with pork- another winner.

In the end, I will probably try La Unica again.  It is more authentic than the other Tex-Mex places in town.  The employees are not the friendliest, but the tamales, rice, and pico make up for that shortcoming.  If you are heading up into East Texas, stop on in, and check out La Unica.

La Unica Tortilleria
1614 N Raguet St
Lufkin, Texas 75904
936/ 632-1680


No comments:

Post a Comment