Sunday, February 12, 2012

Old Towne General Store: Nacogdoches



Today, I find myself in downtown Nacogdoches looking for a place to eat an early lunch.  My first choice had a mechanical issue, so they were closed for the day.  I stumbled on Old Towne General Store on the Square.  If you have never been to downtown Nacogdoches, you’re truly missing out.

You walk into a revived old building with little trinkets in the front like candles, jarred goods, and t-shirts.  The deli is in the back of the building, and you can smell the baked potatoes as you walk up.  There is a glass cold case with sweet temptations, and a cauldron of chili crying out to you.

Choose from the menu on the wall.  Your choices range from stuffed spuds, soups, salads, and sandwiches.  Today, I try the grilled pimento cheese sandwich on my choice of bread- sour dough.


The panini like sandwich comes out with a pickle spear.  First off, the bread doesn’t taste like sourdough, but more like a honey wheat- it is sweet not sour like sourdough.  The pimiento cheese is strong on the mayo and lacking pimentos, but it has a nice blend of cheeses.  Overall, it is pretty good, but not the best!  The pickle spear is awesome.  It has a nice dill taste with a peppery kick.  It actually tastes like it is home made.

To top off the lunch, I go back for a sweet.  I grab a chocolate chip and peanut butter cookie to go.  I was extremely disappointed in the cookies- they were hard and tasted old.  Save your money, and skip the cookies.

Overall, I liked Old Towne General Store.  It is an eclectic mix of tattoos and sorority girl.  It would be a great place to meet up before heading out to the numerous shops on the square.  Check it out if you get a chance.

Old Towne General Store
205 E Main Street
Nacogdoches, TX  75961
936/560-3210

No comments:

Post a Comment