Saturday, September 17, 2011

Silverado BBQ: Corpus Christi

Today, I wanted BBQ, and I wanted to try some place other than Rudy's.  Don't get me wrong, I like Rudy's, but I wanted to try something a little more local.  How can you not want to try a BBQ place on Weber Road- how appropriate?

I walk into Silverado BBQ for a chopped beef sandwich, and I sit down at the table with a 2 meat-2 side plate.  There was no way that I could get just a chopped beef sandwich after smelling the aromas of Silverado.  So, it's chicken- choice of meat, brisket- choice of lean or marbled, Cole slaw, AND  stewed okra-to honor my husband!

I jump into the stewed okra.  All I can say is that I could have eaten the whole vat of it.  It was awesome.  My mom used to make stewed okra like this.  Saute a little bacon and onions.  Add the okra and tomatoes.  Then, you add a little sour like vinegar and lot's pepper!  Wallah! 

The Cole slaw was pretty good- not too sweet with a little more sour to it.  The cabbage was actually diced instead, and overall, a nice refreshing side on this hot and humid day.  Now, the meats: smoked chicken breast and lean brisket.  The brisket was above average.  It wasn't the best that I had had, but it was good.  The meat was lean, mostly moist, but verging on a little dry, not real heavy on the smoke, and the rub wasn't overwhelming with salt either. 

The chicken was above average too.  The wing/chicken breast was moist, but verged on dry.  The seasoning on the skin was really good- like previously mentioned not too salty.  The meat did have a nice smokiness to it.  Now, the sauce....it verges on too sweet, but then it doesn't.  You can just taste the brown sugar in it, and possibly honey.  They may add a hint of liquid smoke too.  It is a complex sauce that will keep you guessing, and in the end, I really liked it.

Overall, I really liked Silverado BBQ, and I would return.  They have a vegetable of the day, so remember Friday's are stewed okra day!  How can you not like a place that has a sign on its front door: "The only smoke in this establishment is the smoke coming from around the counter!" 

Not to mention, Silverado is one of my all time favorite movies- heck, Payden, my dog in College was named from a character in the movie.  But, I digress.  If you are in Corpus Christi, check out Silverado BBQ.

Silverado BBQ
4522 Weber Rd
Corpus Christi, TX 78411
361/855-6464

No comments:

Post a Comment