Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tom's Burger & More: Elmendorf (San Antonio)

Today, I found myself on the Southeast side of San Antonio looking for a place to eat.  Unfamiliar with the area, I stopped into Tom’s Burger and More.  They offer a variety of food from today’s special-spaghetti to the usual fare of burgers and fish and shrimp combos.

Today, I order the usual fare: a cheeseburger combo.  My burger and fries arrive- the fries are thick cut but not as thick as steak fries.  They are golden brown, but lacking crispness and taste.  They weren’t great, but still very edible.  The burger was a decent thickness, seasoned well, and tasted great.  Fresh tomatoes, onions, and lettuce accompanied it.  The bun was rich, fresh, and buttery.  Overall, Tom’s serves up a really good burger. 

But, then there was another white packet on my tray- dessert?  Yep, it was a fried apple pie.  I am not a purveyor of fried pies besides the Mrs. Baird kind that my mom used to eat in my early childhood.  In my tastes, the pie dough was odd in consistency it was bubbly and flaky.  I can’t say if this is how real fried pies are or not- the inside tasted just like apple pie filling from the can.  In my opinion, I can skip the fried pie the next time.

Overall, when I am back in the Southeast San Antonio Elmendorf area, I would stop back in for a burger at Tom’s.  The no frills place is filled with hard working people, so Tom’s must be doing something right.

Tom’s Burger and More
13950 IH-37 South
Elmendorf, TX 78112
210/633-0143

No comments:

Post a Comment