Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Domenic's Pizza Connection: Brenham


With Brenham being the closest town to us, the eating establishments are some what to be desired for a town this size- Bada Bing.  Each week, Domenic's Original Pizza advertises in the local paper pushing their New York style pizza.  Of course, I have been wanting to try this place because I Luva Gooda Pizza Pie, and tonight was the night- husband working late (and, I don't feel like cooking).  I called in some pies to be picked up.

Domenic's serves either New York style or Chicago Style.  Their pizza comes on a wheat crust with their own special sauce, a Parmesan cheese blend and fresh toppings.  You can build your own or chose from the 8 specialty pizzas.  You can also pick up a variety of 6 different kinds of 9 inch frozen baked pizzas.

Tonight, I wanted to try a cheese pizza, and I wanted to try the "Kitchen Sink" which includes ground beef, pepperoni, sausage, green peppers, onions, sliced tomatoes, and black olives.  Both pizzas in New York style (ie. thin crust).  I've spent some time with East Coast Italians, so let's see how this Brenham to New York connection is working....


Of course, I knew that I would try a piece of the cheese before I made the 20 minute drive back home.  I had to make sure the crust was crisp since it gets so soggy just sitting in those to-go boxes.  When I opened the box, alarms went off.  The redness of the sauce was overwhelming, and the cheese just reminded me of something not good.  

First of all, the crust was not very thin.  It wasn't light.  It didn't have that crispy, bubbly texture.  The cheese tasted like Mr. Gatti's blend.  In fact, this pizza reminded me of Mr. Gattis, but it was different.  The sauce was the culprit.  It was so thick and tart- it had to be one thing: alot of tomato paste.  When I first tasted it, the first thing that crossed my mind was "I bet I have heartburn tonight!"  This cheese pizza had definitely lost it's signal because there was New York connection.

After the 20 minute drive home, it was time to try the "Kitchen Sink."  All I can say is SERIOUSLY!

This is the medium, and I just want to say "Can we skimp on the toppings a little more?"  You can count those tomatoes on one hand- sliced tomatoes--- with a knife maybe.  In fact, they skipped the ground beef too.  The sausage is not even good- super salty and greasy.  For $16, this pizza is not worth it- the ingredients are lame and lacking, and the size is too small for a medium.  What a disappointment- once again, no connection.

I hate to sound so negative, but Domenic's really failed me.  There was definitely not any Bada Bing.  It just did not connect to New York or Italy or me.  I guess the positive is that Brenham has a Pizza Hut.  So, if you find yourself in Brenham and you want to try Domenic's Pizza Connection, I would say "Fugeddaboutit!"

Domenic's Pizza Connection
1122 S Market Street
Brenham, TX 77833
979/830-1133
http://www.nypizzaconnection.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Tasty Texas Traveler. My name is Patty Dalrymple and I am the new proprietor of The Pizza Connection. I was also displeased with the quality of the pizzas you received. We have made many improvements since we took ownership 2 years ago and would love for you to give us another try. If you will email me at patty.dalrymple@gmail.com, I will send you a coupon worth 50% off of your next pizza purchase. Hope to meet you in the near future.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete