Monday, June 27, 2011

Superior Burger Bar: Elgin


No offense, but this place is a dive....with one heck of a burger.  It's Friday, and I find myself driving back from Austin.  I am hankering for a greasy burger not an Elgin Hot Sausage.  Located just outside of the historic downtown of Elgin, Superior Burger is in a non-descript building next to a barber shop.   I think the foldable sign in front let's you know that they are open.

Don't judge the book by the cover because once you walk inside you will really need to be open minded.  The tiny joint is quite dark with a few tables- not very appealing.  On this day, there was a table of local women eating fried fish, and a man, who looked like a banker, eating a burger.  The menu is very limited: burgers, chicken fried steak, pork chops, chicken strips, and fried fish- maybe fried chicken- can't remember.  WARNING: Superior Burger takes only CASH!  There is a bank down the road, so place your order and come back.

Today, I order up a hamburger and fries- imagine that? 


The french fries were the most golden and crispest fries that I have ever had.  There was absolutely no seasoning on them, but they were to die for.  Typical frozen kind, but cooked to complete perfection.  Now, the star, as shown above, was the hamburger. With each bite, the bun oozed with butter .  The meat tasted fresh, and I can't figure out if they seasoned it before or after cooking- lots of black pepper.  All I can think is what a well seasoned griddle they must have!  The burger totally rocked!

Superior Burger Bar is a little gem in Elgin.  It now has a loyal follower.  Plus, it is nice to get off the beaten path into the historic downtown.  My only complaint is that their tea comes in a can, but then again, I should be drinking water.  Stop off if you're in Elgin, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised that you skipped the Hot Sausage for Superior Burger Bar!

Superior Burger Bar
101-B Central Avenue
Elgin, Texas
512/285-4348
Thur and Sun 11 am to 9 pm
Fri and Sat 11 am to 11 pm

1 comment: