Monday, June 6, 2011

Splendora Cafe: Splendora

Today, I find myself in Splendora, Texas.  Located about 45 minutes north of Houston, this little cafe tempted my taste buds after reading the reviews online.  Located in a strip shopping center just North of FM 2090, I walk into a large non-descript room booming with business and patrons.  You seat yourself, and you are promptly greeted by the nicest wait staff ever.  A few other words come to mind: bubbly, energetic and attentive.

Today is Friday, and I have a feeling I am about to be VERY bad.  They have fried pickles, fried mushrooms, fried this and that, but I perplexed by the Queso DipnSides: as described by my waitress, "chunks of yellow cheese rolled into tri-colored tortilla chips, fried and served with Ranch."  Wow, that sounds great, but so do the fried pickles.   Luckily, I didn't have to make too much of choice since I could order the Mixed Appetizer:  Fried Pickles and Queso DipnSides.

OK, the fried pickles were very good, though the fluffy batter was slightly too salty for me.  The real hit was the Queso DipnSides.  OMG.  It was like queso just melting in your mouth.  There was some jalapenos rolled in the batter too.  They were to die for, and the Ranch dressing tasted like homemade Hidden Valley.  Yummy. 

I knew I was being bad, so I went for the worse thing on the menu for my arteries and my main meal.  I chose the Lunch Portion of the Chicken Fried Steak.  The 8 oz sirloin came with a choice of side (Cole Slaw for me) and a salad from their salad bar (I skipped the only healthy thing of my meal).  You could also chose white or brown gravy.  As soon as it came out, I asked for a to go box. 

The lunch portion was huge; but then again, I am sure the Fried Pickles and Queso DipnSides had nothing to do with it.  The Cole Slaw was good- not too sweet and not too tart.  It actually tasted like the kind that comes right out of the bag- I really like that kind since that's the kind my mom used to make.  Back to the CFS though, the batter is the same fluffy batter from the fried pickles, but the meat has a taste that I can't figure out- it's a VERY good thing.  It tastes almost like they soaked it in white wine.  It was super tender and just amazing.  The gravy was just fair, but it didn't matter- that meat was just superb. 

If you are ever on your way North from Houston, stop in and try Splendora Cafe.  The food and the staff will not disappoint.  In fact, add thoughtful to the description of my waitress.  She brought me out an extra large tea to go on this hot afternoon.  Splendora Cafe was packed from the time that I got there at 12:45 to an hour later.  They definitely have something good going on!

Splendora Cafe and BBQ
13817 Hwy 59 #F
Splendora, TX 77372
281/699-1650

No comments:

Post a Comment