Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cake Junkie: Bryan, Texas


OK, I knew I would be in Bryan College Station for a few days, and I wanted to find a place for cupcakes.  I had read about Sweet Memories at some point.  When I finally found it on 29th, I was actually disappointed in it's store front.  When you walk in, you just don't get that "kid in the candy shop" feeling.  The selection was small- only a few cupcakes available in a handful of different flavors.

Today, I decided to try a carrot cupcake, a German Chocolate cupcake, and a petit four.


The carrot cake cupcake was awful.  It was dried out and old- I felt like I was eating card board.  The icing was quite sweet and light, but tasted like it was made with Crisco.  Very disappointing.  Next: German Chocolate:


The cake portion was a little more moist, but not overwhelmingly.  The icing tasted like it was right out of the can.  Although better than the carrot cupcake, the German Chocolate cupcake was still a disappointment. 

Since I am crazy for petit fours, I wanted to try one.  I chose a vanilla cake petit four.


Wow, I am really batting 0 for 3.  The pink frosting was strawberry in flavor- very faint and not very good.  The cake inside was OK.  Just below the pink icing, there was a lightly whipped sugar frosting.  It may have been pretty- pretty disappointing.

In the end, I realized that this bakery has gone by two other names: Sweet Memories and Taste of Heaven.  Now known as Cake Junkie.  Their slogan is "feed your addiction," but I would feed it some where else.

Cake Junkie
4001 E 29th Street, Suite 75
Bryan, Texas 77802

No comments:

Post a Comment