Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Molina's: Houston, Texas

Since I grew up in Houston, I have grown up eating at Molina’s.  Now, it has become my Friday lunch place with my parents.  The original Molina’s was a tiny building right on Westheimer.  Molina’s built their existing building right behind it.  I think the Boston Tea Party restaurant was here at one point- now, I am dating my age, but I have been eating at Molina’s for over 30 years!  Yikes, but at least, it's not since 1941 when Molina's started!

Currently, Molina’s is renovating again.  We promptly get seated in Laurie’s section because she is a family favorite.  She is very personal and gives great service.  You just like her the minute you meet her, and this is true with the following that is sitting in her section.

But, I digress this is a food blog.  Upon seating, your basket of chips arrives with the original Molina’s salsa, a fire-roasted salsa, and marinated onions and carrots.  In the old days, jars of this stuff were on the tables, but I am sure some CODE makes that unsanitary today.  I absolutely LOVE their salsa- there is a hint of vinegar in it that keeps me coming back for more.  The fire-roasted salsa is good, but I LOVE the original salsa.  The marinated onions and carrots take me back to my childhood with every single bite.

On this day, I ordered the crispy beef tacos plate, as does my dad. 



The 3 tacos come out under a pile of shredded cheese, shredded lettuce and taco sauce.  If you want cheese, you will have to order it: shredded or queso is available.  Everything is super fresh.  You ALMOST feel like you are eating a healthy taco salad.  The taco shells were crisp; the meat was seasoned well; the lettuce was plump; and the cheese- why do I love this shredded cheese.  Top it off with some Molina’s original salsa- HEAVEN!  This plate of tacos does not come with rice and beans, but there is more than enough food to eat.


My mom ordered the lunch portion of the chicken fajitas for one.  There is nothing “lunch portion” about it.  We always bring home enough for another fajita.  The chicken comes out sizzling with a side of adobe butter that is never needed.  The chicken is moist and well seasoned.  Guacamole and pica de gallo grace the condiment plate.  You will have to ask for a side of cheese or sour cream.  The flour tortillas were steaming hot.  Yummy rice and terrific charro beans top off this lunch portion of the fajitas. This is my other lunch staple at Molina’s. 

We always top our lunch off with coffee.  Molina’s serves the best pralines that I have ever had.  The pralines are thin, not too sweet, and just divine with our freshly made coffee.  There’s nothing like a sugar-caffeine high to get you through Friday rush hour traffic.  Molina’s is a definite local stop if you are in Houston.  Just beware of their margaritas, but that is a whole other blog!

Molina's
7901 Westheimer
Houston, Texas
713/782-0861

No comments:

Post a Comment