Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Joe's Pizza and Pasta Subs: Longview


I decided to check out Joe's Pizza and Pasta Subs for my birthday dinner.  Oh, where do I start?  First of all, when you walk into Joe's, you don't know if you order at the counter, seat yourself, or wait to be seated.  You wait to be seated (by the friendliest and very personal employees). 

I love good thin crust pizza, so tonight, I tried a slice of cheese and a slice of supreme along with a house salad with tomato basil vinaigrette.  With my salad came a basket of bread which included focacia and rolls.  I was shocked when the waitress put my salad down.  It looked like someone had poured thick and chunky cocktail sauce all over wilted lettuce.  I'm on an adventure, but I didn't buy this ticket.  The dressing must have been pizza sauce mixed with vinaigrette.  It was nasty.  I just kept telling myself that it has to get better.

Then, my slices of pizza appeared.


Yep, two very large pieces of two different kinds of pizza on the same 8 inch plate.  The Supreme laid on top of the Cheese.  Toppings galore on the Supreme- to the point that I had to break my cardinal pizza rule: I had to eat it with a fork.  The problem was I was also cutting through the cheese pizza since it laid beneath the rubble of my Supreme slice.  The Supreme slice was very good. 

By the end, I had dropped so many of the toppings onto the Cheese Slice that it looked like another slice of Supreme; however, the Cheese Slice was beyond disappointing.  I love just Plain Jane cheese pizza, but not like this slice.  It was old and stale like it had been sitting out all day.   

Overall, Joe's pizza crust is thin, but not crisp until the crust- in fact, it was quite mushy on both slices.  The outer crust portion was light, crunchy, and good.  I just wished the rest of the slice was like this.  The sauce was very light to the point that I couldn't really taste it ( a nice departure from my salad).  

In the end, Joe's Pizza did regain some points with me.  Joe's has a VERY extensive dessert list- with the actual desserts greeting you in a glass case as you walk in.   I chose the Ultimate Chocolate Cake:  chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, chocolate cake covered with chocolate icing with miniature chocolate chips.  Absolutely sinful yet oh so good!


Joe's Pizza plays great Rat Pack music.  The decor is splashed with the colors of Italy.  The carpet was quite dirty upon my arrival, but they started to sweep while I ate (a total pet peeve of mine).  If I go back to Joe's, I think I would try some of their pasta and definitely some more of their desserts.

Joe's Pizza and Pasta Subs
411 N Spur 63 (McCann Road)
Longview, Texas 75601
903/757-9003

No comments:

Post a Comment