Monday, February 14, 2011

Cowboy Chicken: Longview


I drove past Cowboy Chicken one evening.  The parking lot was packed, so I became curious.  Cowboy Chicken is a franchise out of Dallas.  It was started in 1981 serving natural chicken that has been slow cooked over a wood burning fire.  This is confirmed at the Longview location since there is literally a wall of fire and rotisserie chickens. 

I arrived at 11:15 am on Sunday thinking I was beating the Church crowd.  Not even a chance, the line was wrapped along the wall with not an open table in sight.  From the wall menu, I chose the Famous Chicken Enchiladas with 2 sides: Spanish rice and Ranchero beans.  Since there were no seats inside, I sat outside on the round picnic tables waiting for my meal to be delivered.  Finally, the Famous Chicken Enchiladas arrived.


There was a killer wind that was cooling my meal faster than I could eat it.  The enchiladas were filled with lots of thick white chicken meat.  The tortillas were flour, a little tough, and not at all gooey.  The enchiladas must have been rolled just prior to serving then covered with the tomatillo sour cream sauce.   The sauce was extremely good with hints of lime, sour cream, tomatillo, cilantro, and every once in a while, jalapeno.  Sprigs of cilantro complimented the sauce which covered the WHOLE plate- a little overkill I thought.  Regardless, the Famous Chicken Enchiladas definitely rank as some of the BEST in Texas.

Next time, I would skip the uneventful Spanish rice and Ranchero beans.  Just splurge for another enchilada.  Did I mention that these Famous Chicken Enchiladas rank as some of the BEST in Texas?  Definitely check it out when you are in Longview next!

Cowboy Chicken
3080 N. Eastman Road (Hwy 259)
Suite 100
Longview, Texas  75605
903/663-0777
http://www.cowboychicken.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment