Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Moose Market: Longview, Texas



It was a dreary Monday morning when I drove past Moose Market.  I made a quick U-Turn, and decided to give it a try.  I found it peculiar that there was a trash dumpster in the middle of their driveway.  Was this a sign?  Plus, it looked like the place wasn’t open, and my elderly eyes couldn’t read the hours of operation.  I entered to find a dimly lit place that I didn’t know if it wanted to be open for breakfast or not.  I finally yelled for help.

A very nice woman entered and began accommodating my wishes.  Breakfast is VERY limited.  Today, it was a choice of Quiche or Biscuits and Gravy.  I chose the blueberry muffin and a cup of coffee.  Just to get my order to the $5 minimum for a credit card, I got a piece of Moose Cake to go. 

They didn’t even have coffee made, so she made a fresh pot for me.  The blueberry muffins were placed into the microwave in a Styrofoam container to warm them.  It became very obvious that lunch was the meal to come here for- specializing in comfort food from chicken and dumplings to tortilla soup.

The blueberry muffins were just average.  They tasted like they were made from the Duncan Hines muffin mix.  And, to know that they were nuked in the Styrofoam container topped it off.  I couldn't even bear to picture the blueberry muffins.

The Moose cake is a chocolate cake with layers of pecans, toasted coconut, and marshmallow cream- I think that’s what it was.  It was similar to an Upside Down German Chocolate Cake.  The cake was moist, but it was not sweet- more along the lines of a bittersweet style.  I wasn’t overly impressed with the creation.

I think the real gem to Moose Market is their lunch.  They should just skip breakfast because it was a total non-event.  Their lunch menu featured wraps, soups, salads,  and other daily comfort food specials.  If you go to Moose Market, just make it for lunch because breakfast will disappoint you.

Moose Market
1403 Clearwood -@ Gilmer Road (Hwy 300)
Longview, TX 75604
(903) 753-8300



No comments:

Post a Comment