Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Kolache Rolfs: College Station, Texas


I was really excited to try Kolache Rolf's.  Once I move from Houston to the Brenham area, I soon learned that the Kolache Factory was very different than the true kolaches of the Czech communities in Texas.  I hoped that Kolache Rolf's would help educate me in the art of true kolaches.

At the Texas Avenue location, you walk into a very cool industrial style store connected to Copy Center.  The kolaches are placed on wire racks behind the counter.  This morning, I tried an array of kolaches that included sausage and apricot.  I also tried a cinnamon twist and a tall coffee.

Oops, I forgot to get photos of the goods, but I can say I was not impressed.  The cinnamon twist was awful.  It was such a disappointment.  I wanted gooey and sweet, but it was like a log of dense dough with some cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top- i couldn't even say it was a glaze.  Don't waste your time with it.

The sausage kolache failed to meet my expectations too.  The dough was light and fluffy, but where was the sausage?  It was like they took half of a little smokey.  There needs to be more sausage- like a whole little smokey.

I will say that the apricot fruit kolache gave me a little hope.  The bread was the same as the sausage kolache.  It was quite light, but it could be a little more buttery.  The fruit filling was typical for fruit kolaches- I think it all comes out of a can.  Overall, this was my favorite kolache.

If I were to go back to Kolache Rolf's, I would stick to the fruit kolaches.  But then again, there is a Shipley's right down the road.

Kolache Rolf's
2307 Texas Avenue South
College Station, Texas 77840
979/696-0099
http://www.kolacherolfs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment